The Omni Diet is a diet plan by Tana Amen which combines the benefits of plant-based diet with high-protein diets.
According to Tana Aman, a plant-based diet is excellent for curing the body and preventing infections. A high-protein diet, on the other hand, keeps your blood sugar in check and provides you with energy.
The combination of these approaches is the core philosophy behind the Omni Diet.
If you are interested in the Omni Diet, make sure to consult your doctor first so you can get additional advice about a healthy dietary regime.
Let’s dive in to find out how you can lose weight in healthy way!
What is the Omni Diet?
The Omni Diet is 6-week plan based in organic, hormone-free and non-inflammatory foods. The main rules of this diet are: 70% plan food and 30% protein.
It was designed to take the best of both worlds: plant-based diet and high-protein diets. It combines the two into a healthy, effective diet plan that can help you lose 12 pounds in two weeks.
You should not feel hungry on this diet plan, in fact you should feel more energetic and lower blood sugar levels.
The Omni Diet is built with health in mind. The goal is to reduce inflammation and increase nutrition values of your diet. As a result, you should feel stronger, healthier and more energetic.
During the course of this diet, you will learn why certain foods are not healthy, even though you’ve been told otherwise.
You will also learn about the importance of the so-called “nutrient dense foods”, which are packed with beneficial elements that your body needs. These are known as Omni NutriPower Foods, and you will learn how to incorporate them in your diet.
The Omni Diet comes in three distinctive phases;
The first phase is the most restrictive, while phase 2 allows for additional foods. The third phase is ongoing; it is designed in such a way to allow for long-term use.
Omni Diet Plan
The Omni Diet Plan has 4 main rules rules:
- Eat within an hour of waking up.
- Take a green smoothie at least 2 times per week.
- Exercise at least 30 minutes per day. Exercise is the essential part of this diet plan. Preferably, your exercise should include some weight training. You can start with gentle exercise and work your way up to more demanding exercises. Check out Tabata Crossfit Ultimate Guide for some great workout ideas.
- Detox in a sauna twice per week. This will help you cleanse your body from all harmful elements.
Here is a sample Omni Diet Plan for each meal of the day:
Your breakfast should include some fresh fruit and a drink.
Green tea is a good drink to start your day.
The amount of protein allowed is 3-4 ounces for women and 4-6 ounces for men.
You are allowed 2 cups of non-starchy green veggies and half of a cup of berries or one piece of fruit. You can make a smoothie out of these if you prefer.
The main breakfast meal should be rich in vegetables. For example, you can make a veggie scramble with bell peppers, kale, garlic and onion.
The Omni Diet recommends green smoothie as the healthiest snack option you can use.
Mid morning is a good time for a snack, although it is not required.
Your snacks should include 1-2 ounces of protein, which is one slice of turkey or 2 tablespoons of hummus or raw nuts.
You can eat 2-3 cups of veggies (steamed veggies are good for this).
The lunch should be rich in vegetables and low in carbs.
Aim to eat between 3-4 ounces of protein for women or 4-6 ounces for men. You are allowed 1 tablespoon of olive oil or 1 tablespoon of nuts, or 2 ounces of avocado for your healthy nuts.
For veggies, you can get 1 cup of mixed greens and 1 cup of other mixed veggies. A garden salad is an excellent lunch option. You can also add a small serving of fruit as a dessert.
If you already had a green smoothie as your morning snack, you can take a serving of nuts or fruits as your afternoon snack.
Lean protein with a side serving of vegetables (3-4 cups of mixed veggies) .
You can add a bit more of healthy fats, but don’t go overboard (not much more than what you had for lunch). For example, you can make a steak with a serving of steamed broccoli and sweet potatoes.
Food Cravings & Diet Adapting
You will likely notice your food cravings disappearing after a few weeks.
Chances are that you will not be able to consume all this recommended food. If this happens, eliminate one of the snacks or make your meals smaller.
In case the opposite happens and you feel more hungry, you can increase your intake of non-starchy vegetables.
When deciding which foods to limit, start with those that are cooked. Your diet should be based mainly on raw and lightly cooked foods.
Omni Diet Benefits
- Improved health. The Omni Diet is designed to improve your health, reduce inflammation and prevent health problems. This is particularly important for those who suffer from digestive problems and constant inflammation. It also improves your energy levels, controls your sugar and improves your well-being.
- Weight loss. While not designed as a weight loss regime, Omni diet gives excellent results. You can lose weight quickly but in a safe and healthy manner.
- Highly nutritious. Highly nutritious foods will make you feel full and energetic. This diet is designed to provide your body with everything it needs to function properly.
- Detox. This diet help you get rid of the toxins, hormones and pesticides from the foods you eat. As a result, your body will be healthier, and you will feel rejuvenated.
- You need to go organic. In order to follow the Omni Diet, you will need to consume only organic and free range foods. These tend to be more expensive and sometimes more difficult to find.
- Not an easy diet to follow. This diet eliminates dairy products and sugar which might be difficult for some people to quit it completly.
- It requires regular exercise and sauna. It might be difficult for some to get access to a sauna and to establish a weekly workout routine.Please note it is always recommended to consult your doctor before starting any dietary regime.
Omni Diet Food List
The Omni Diet food list includes mainly plant-based foods, with an addition of lean animal protein. To follow the program correctly, you need to take 70% of plant-based food and 30% lean protein.
One notable characteristic of this diet plan is that it is dairy-free. The only products in this group that are allowed are free-ranged, organic eggs.
Here are the main food groups allowed on this diet:
- Vegetables. Make sure to use only organic veggies. Almost all vegetables are allowed. One notable exception are white potatoes.
- Lean meat. You can eat naturally raised lean meat and poultry. You are also allowed to eat wild-caught fish.
- Fruits. You can eat fruits, particularly berries. However, you should eat limited amounts of fruits because they are often high in sugar.
- Eggs. Free range, organic eggs are on the allowed foods list.
- Nuts. Raw nuts and seeds are allowed.
- Healthy vegetable oils. Coconut oil, almond, grape seed and olive oils are allowed.
- Herbs and spices. Most of these are allowed to include on your menu.
- Dried beans. In limited amounts, you are allowed to eat dried beans and lentils.
- Super foods. These are maca root, goji powder, pomegranate and lucuma.
Foods to Avoid:
- Dairy products. These products are completely eliminated from the Omni Diet. You should not consume any milk, cheese, butter and other dairy products. The only products in this group that are allowed are free ranged, organic eggs.
- Vegetable oils high in Omega 6 fatty acid. You should not eat any vegetable oils in this group. This includes sunflower, corn, cottonseed and soybean oils. You can consume vegetable oils low in Omega 6 fatty acids, such as coconut and olive oil.
- Soy. Soy and soy-based products are eliminated on this diet plan.
- Low-quality, high-fat animal protein. Keep in mind that you are only allowed to eat high-quality animal protein on this diet.
- Grains and gluten. You should eat grains in limited quantities, and only specific ones. Allowed grains are quinoa, buckwheat and amaranth.
- Refined sugars and carbs. You should stay away from refined sugars and refined carbs on this diet. The only allowed thing is a bit of stevia as a sweetener.
- Fruit juice. This type of juice contains a lot of sugar and is not the best choice. You can eat fruits in moderation, but fruit juice is eliminated on the Omni Diet.
- Processed foods. You should eliminate all processed foods and frozen foods from your menu while following the Omni Diet.
Omni Diet Green Smoothie
According to the Omni Diet, you should eat green smoothies as a meal at least twice per week. You can use a smoothie as a snack or as a full meal. This is a vitamin-packed drink that will give you many essential nutrients.
The basic idea is to include many green veggies, and not too much fruit which can add a lot of sugar and calories to your smoothie. Your green smoothie should be low on calories.
Here are some important tips on making your green smoothie:
- Make sure it’s actually a green smoothie: include many green veggies in it.
- Include 1 tablespoon of healthy fat. Remember, this smoothie should replace a whole meal.
- Include some protein. Your green smoothie should have about 1 ounce of protein in it. The easiest way to achieve this is with nuts.
- Use coconut water as the base. This is one of the best bases for a smoothie.
- Add super foods. You can add maca root powder, aloe gel, acai berries, pomegranate, camu camu, lucuma powder or goji powder to your smoothie.
- Add raw greens. It is best if your smoothie is made of raw greens.
- Aim at 1:4 ratio of fruits to veggies. It is best if you don’t include fruit in your smoothie. If you have to do that, make sure that there are much more veggie content than the fruit content. The ratio 1:4 seems to work best.
Green smoothie recipe:
- 2 cups of baby spinach
- 2 kale leaves
- ½ cup other leafy greens of your choice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 leaves of mint
- 1 ounce raw nuts
- 16-20 ounces of coconut water
- 1 teaspoon Super food (pomegranate powder, camu camu powder and the like)
- optional: ½ cup berries
- optional: stevia, to taste
Omni Diet Drops
According to Tana Amen, it is important to use certain dietary supplements while following the Omni Diet. These supplements should provide your body with all the additional nutrients, vitamins and minerals it needs.
Some of the recommended general supplements to take while in the Omni diet are fish oil, daily multivitamin, magnesium, probiotics and vitamin D.
Tana Amen also promotes her husband, Dr. Daniel Amen’s line of supplements. Some people see this recommendation as a conflict of interest, but you may check them out.
In any case, it is important to remember that the Omni Diet recommends the use of supplements.
Omni Diet Menu
There are three distinctive phases of the Omni Diet:
Phase 1: Jump the Canyon (first 2 weeks)
The first phase lasts 2 weeks and it takes you off the standard American diet. In this phase, you need to make sure that you eat 70% of plant-based food and 30% of protein-rich food.
Avoid alcohol at all costs.
It is also recommended to limit fruit intake, no more than half of a cup of fruit per day – preferably berries.
Limiting sugar intake – If you feel craving something sweet, you can have a smoothie or half of an apple with almond butter, or your daily serving of berries.
Phase 2: Pump It Up (the next 2 weeks)
During this phase, you are upping your energy levels and you are getting settled into your new dietary regime. By this phase, you should be getting used to the new menu.
This is a phase where you increase exercise. Make sure to slowly build up towards more demanding exercises in this phase.
When it comes to nutrition, keep following the 70/30 ratio of plant-based food and protein-rich food.
You can still consume ½ of a cup of berries per day but eliminate other desserts. If you give yourself a dessert, make sure that it doesn’t include sugar, butter or white flour. Also, if you choose to include a dessert, this will count as a meal or a snack.
Phase 3: Relax Your Way to Better Health (the final 2 weeks)
This is a phase when you improve your health through the new dietary regime. You can also continue with this phase past the 2 weeks.
You should increase exercise even further during these weeks.
When it comes to foods, you are allowed some flexibility, as long as you follow the 70/30 ratio of foods.
In this phase you are allowed to relax a little. For example, you can now follow the Omni Diet most of the time but choose something else about 10% of the time. It means that you can add other foods to your menu that are not allowed in other phases of the Omni Diet.
For example, you can start introducing small amounts of grains and legumes. Make sure not to go overboard with the amounts; 90% of what you eat should follow the Omni Diet rules.
This will mean eating one food not on the diet rules per day. This is not an invitation to start binging on sugary goods or processed foods.
To limit yourself, follow a 3 bite rule: take only 3 bites of the non-allowed food and stop there. This should prevent you from eating too much of the foods that are not included on the Omni Diet list.
After the Phase 3…
Omni Diet is a sustainable diet which you can follow for a long term.
Many people prefer to go on a modified diet plan after those 6 weeks, known as the “maintenance phase”. This is a long-term phase which can be followed for many years.
The maintenance phase recommends sticking to the 70/30 ratio of plant-based vs protein-rich foods. It also recommends going off this dietary regime only 10% of the time.
In other words, this phase is very similar to the phase 3 of the diet.
Omni Diet Recipes
- 4-5 shrimps, peeled, deveined and halved
- 4-5 scallops
- 2 eggs, whole
- 2 egg whites
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup bean sprouts
- 1 chive, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- optional: 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- optional: 1/2 grapefruit
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add green onions and ginger (optional) and cook for 1 minute.
- Add shrimp and scallops. Cook for additional 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs and egg whites in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet and pour eggs into it. Cook for about 1 minute, then flip and finish cooking.
- Transfer the eggs to a plate. Top them with bean sprouts and cooked seafood.
Garnish with chives. Serve with an optional grapefruit.
Kale Salad with Chicken
- 3 cups chicken grilled or baked and chopped
- 8 ounces kale, shredded
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 oranges (one juiced, the other peeled and diced)
- 8 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons raw pecans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon organic honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine kale and cilantro in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, combine salt, pepper, juice of one orange, honey and sesame oil.
- Whisk until you get an even blend.
- Pour this dressing into the kale and cilantro bowl. Add diced orange, pecans and raisins.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Top with chicken pieces. Serve.
Salmon with Broccoli
- 1-2 cups of broccoli
- 4 fresh wild salmon fillets
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped
- ¼ lemon
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook broccoli until tender. Set aside.
- Preheat a skillet with the oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add filets and cook for 2 minutes. Turn and cook for additional 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and top with fresh basil. Sprinkle salt and pepper and squeeze lemon over fillets.
- Add steamed broccoli to the plate. Serve.
- 2 table spoons dried blueberries
- ¼ raw slivered almonds
- 2 table spoons goji berries
- ¼ cup raw walnuts
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 2 table spoons shaved coconut
- 1/4 cup raw cacao nibs
- 2 table spoons dried mulberries
- Combine ingredients in a bowl. Serve.
Omni Diet Results
The Omni Diet is made for improving health and building better dietary habits.
As a result, it promotes overall health in the form of lower inflammation, better digestive health, higher energy levels and improved overall well-being.
Many people also claimed improvements on skin (no acne), sleep quality and general well being.
Another Omni Diet benefit is the change in eating habits because it promotes healthier food choices that are sustainable in a long term.
It helps getting rid of food cravings, particularly sugar cravings because it includes a lot of veggies, nuts and protein that helps you feel fuller for longer.
If you are looking to lose a few pounds in a healthy and nutricious way, the Omni Diet might be for you.